Friday, August 12, 2011

Today We Climbed the Jungfrau



12 August 2011



The Jungfrau is only the third highest peak in the Bernese Alps but it has become the mascot for the Swiss Alps.
And we didn't actually climb it.
In fact, we weren't even on it.
But we were really close!

Last week, I saw that SBB, the Swiss rail service, was offering a one day special. For 39 francs, we could name our day and go anywhere in Switzerland. Greg had to work but Dottie and I quickly decided it was too good of deal to pass up and Dottie pursuaded Laurie to take a holiday. Mind you, as the pictures below clearly indicate, Laurie spent a fair bit of time putting out fires with her Blackberry. I tried to explain that work and holiday are oxymoronic terms but she was as excited about her day away from work as a kid on her birthday so we didn't press the issue.




We went to Mannlichen, which judging by the superlatives Laurie used when describing the place, seems to be her favorite spot on earth. I soon saw why.

To get there, we took a train from here to Bern, where we changed to a train to Interlaken, where we got on a train to Lauterbrunnen  and then a cog railway to Wengen, a  car-less town high in the Alps.


Raking the new mown hay into furrows. Clearly a violation of the child labor laws!


Laurie told me this is the deepest box canyon in the world.





From Wengen, we took a cable car to Mannlichen.



View down from the cable car to the restaurant. The snow covered peaks are the "Big Three". From left to right, the Eiger, the Monk, and the Jungfrau.

"Dog drink"



.
After a great lunch, Laurie and I decided to climb WAY UP to the top of a peak to get a better view of this part of the Jungfrau region, which has been identified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. (Remember in Asia I told you the world seems to be cluttered with them.) Dottie opted to stay put and read a book.




See that spot WAY up there?









This helicoptor landed right in front of us. We thought it was there to take us the rest of the way to the summit.
Apparently not.
Turns out, it was there to ferry building supplies to a cliff ledge just below us, where they were reinforcing the avalanche fences. I think it's bad for tourism if you lose a few skiers.


Getting closer!



This sign said "Wengen Detour". Laurie and I thought it pretty hysterical at the time. I think oxygen deprivation had something to do with that.










Notice the bicyclist. Some of the damn fools bike all the way up ... and then all the way down.
When there's a perfectly good cable car. Go figure.



After our hike, we watched the cows heading back to the barn, which reminded us it was time for us to head on home, as well.


On the way to the cable car, a lovesick cow took off the top layer of skin along my right forearm with a scratchy tongue that could rival a giraffe's in length. Every time I tried to reclaim my arm, Laurie would say, "Wait! Stay there! I haven't got the picture yet!" She sure can be slow sometimes.



As I walked away, those huge brown eyes watched me leave and I felt a twinge of remorse. Had I just played fast and free with her affections? Was I just a tease? Should I coach her onto the cable car and take her back to the apartment with me? I turned for one last meaningful moment ... and my cow was licking the arm of a Japanese tourist. I feel so used.

I think my companions got tired of me saying, "Now THIS is what I think of when I think of Switzerland!"

But really, it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment